Attendance for Online and Blended Courses
The following information is to clarify evidence showing students participating in an online course or the blended part of a course.
Examples of acceptable evidence of academic attendance in a distance education program include:
- student submission of an academic assignment,
- student submission of an exam,
- documented student participation in an interactive tutorial or computer-assisted instruction,
- a posting by the student showing the participation in an online study group that is assigned by the institution,
- posting of an assignment by students in a discussion forum that shows the participation in an online discussion about academic matters, and
- an email from the student or other documentation showing that the student-initiated contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.”
Examples of such an assignment could include:
- Contributing to a graded online discussion
- Taking a graded quiz or exam
- Submitting an assigned homework to the Dropbox for grading.
- An initiated email communication by a student with the instructor asking a course-related question. Please keep the email and students’ responses.
- If you ask students to read a chapter of the book for one week and you want to show students participated in that activity, assign students to submit one of the following to the Dropbox:
- A summary of the chapter and mentioning some of the crucial points they learn from reading the chapter.
- Make a few questions for students to answer and drop them in the Dropbox.